Eco Info - Are We Green?
Living in harmony with our environment is something we have taken seriously since we moved to Peace of Eden in 1993 and we have an on-going program to improve our greenness. Here are some things you might like to know:
- We are entirely off the municipal grid and have been since 1993.
- No chemical fertilizers or pesticides have been used at Peace of Eden since 1993.
- Our vegetables and fruits are organic and no GM products have been grown.
- We have a policy of 'do no harm' where ever possible and should it be necessary we will remove and relocate bothersome creepy-crawlies and the like. Please refrain from using insecticides. Repellants are an effective alternative.
- Please don't harass or feed the monkeys, baboons, bush pigs, porcupines or any other wild animals however you are welcome to feed the horses carrots occasionally.
- Drinking and cooking water is supplied as often as you need it. Its literally from the heavens and tastes just like you would expect it to.
- Bathing water is from the pond which is maintained in a healthy condition by natural eco systems. Its filtered and lightly treated before being pumped into a central system to your cottage or cabin.
- Grey water from showers and basins is piped to french drains that diffuse into vegetation at three separate locations.
- Brown water from toilets is processed in three separate septic tank systems that are maintained in optimal condition.
- Wild animals have free access to all parts of the property except the vegetable gardens. The are no fences at the boundaries of the property in the forest.
- We are founder members of the Phantom-Homtini Nature Conservancy.
- We recycle wherever possible, use biodegradable detergents and ask you to do the same.
- Our electricity comes direct from Eskom and we pay an environmental conservation levy. We use enegy-saver light bulbs wherever possible.
- We do not use any herbicides to control alien vegetation.